I’m a big fan of traditions.
Specifically, starting new ones.
One in particular that I’d like to continue, is my list of what I’ve learned over the course of the year.
If you remember, I did a post last year about the 21 things I learned at 21.
So, as another year has come and gone, I think it’s only fitting to continue on with the tradition.
Here’s 22 Things I’ve Learned at 22.
(Wow, I can’t believe I’m going to be 23)
- Sometimes, you just don’t know what’s next. And that’s a perfectly okay place to be.
- People are fragile, remember that.
- You are so much stronger than you think.
- If you want something, and it seems like it’s impossible, go for it anyway. It’s going to pay off either way. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.
- When you lose someone you love, it’s hard to believe that tomorrow can exist without them. But it will. And it will start to get easier to believe again.
- You are loved. Deeply and truly.
- Keep a journal. Or a photo book. Or ticket stubs from your favorite shows. Just record it. Looking back at memories often brighten the darkest moments.
- Being lonely is different than being alone.
- Life is so big. And also so small. It’s yours, so don’t waste it.”Be Happy. Change the World. Be Fearless.”
- Travel. Don’t just wait and watch. Go and see.
- Sometimes going solo is alright. In fact, in many cases, it’s amazing. It is a sure fire way to learn more about yourself, and in turn, learn about the world around you. And where you fit in it.
- “Take care of what you have, and you’ll often find that you are blessed with more.”
- Visit family at least once a year. At least. At most, visit them everyday.
- Life is short.
- Self-care is important, not shameful. If you need to talk to someone, do it. It is amazing what you can learn and then address, when you’re open to it. But you cannot force someone to realize this.
- You are a world-changer. And it is important to let people know that they can be too.
- It’s okay to let go and be young.
- Make mistakes and learn from them while you can. Life is not a perfect painting, it’s a canvas that can be painted over and changed several times.
- You can unplug, and the world will not end. I promise.
- If something inspires you and makes you feel alive, do it. Simple and obvious enough, it’s about time I learned this one.
- Always suppose your life’s path is going to look dramatically different from everyone else. Embrace and celebrate that.
- Love the vessel you are inhabiting. This body is yours forever. And it’s you are worthy of love. “I stand in awe of my body, this matter to which I am bound has become so strange to me.” -Henry David Thoreau
It seems like this list is not as descriptive as last year’s. But I think that’s alright.
This year was breathtaking.
There are simply no more words.
I don’t just mean it was fantastic and great.
This 22nd year came with many ups, down, twists, turns, loops…you get the picture.
I do think that my 22nd year was the best yet. Tremendous growth occurred.
And although some of it was just painful, I am so much better for it.
I hope that, whatever age you are, this list spoke to you in some small way.
Time is something else, isn’t it?