Hey guys–happy February! This post is coming a little later than I planned, but it holds the same sentiment. My birthday was just last week–I’m officially 24–which means that my mid-20’s are upon me. So far, so good.
Here’s to 24.
Here are 23 things I learned at 23:
- When you don’t see doors opening or hear opportunity knocking, maybe you need to build your own door.
- Practicing yoga isn’t about being or looking the best, doing better than the person next to you or getting recognized by your instructor for doing a pose well. It’s all about being in tune with your body–really listening to it, and giving it what it needs to take you through your day in one piece (peace?).
- There’s no point in holding back how you truly feel. Especially if it’s putting strain on yourself mentally and on your relationships.
- Grandparents are a gift. If you didn’t realize that yet, do it now.
- If you have the time, do it. You know exactly what I’m talking about. Yes, YOU.
Be careful with others’ hearts. “…and indeed, what a trusting God. We can barely protect our own hearts. Let alone, the heart of another.”
- You don’t realize what you have completely, until it’s gone. If you have something to say to someone, say it. Don’t wait. Tomorrow is promised to no one.
- Living at (your parents’) home, is a blessing. Do the dishes, laundry and vacuuming more often.
- Friendships are found in the most surprising places. And it’s never too late to make new friends.
- Despite the lies that you’ve been told, by yourself or others, you are wanted.
- “We accept the love we think we deserve.” – Stephen Chbosky, The Perks of Being a Wallflower
- Having a positive attitude goes a long way.
- Go hiking more often, but don’t forget to pack more than 1 bottle of water (esp. on an 8-mile hike).
- If it seems like it hasn’t been done before, do it anyway. An oldie, but a goodie.
- Things will never change, unless you do. Stay out of your comfort zone.
- Being introverted is not a negative thing, and it’s also only one part of you. Don’t let it define all of who you are.
- If you don’t stand for something, you really will fall for anything. ‘Stay woke.’ Be informed. Passivity isn’t the answer.
- Just because you’re young, doesn’t mean you’re less powerful or leave a lesser impact.
You are young.
- It is okay to not be okay with where you are right now. Just don’t forget to remember how blessed you are right now.
- Keep dreaming big and trusting God with those dreams, because it’s the only way you’ll get to where you need to be (something that I’m still learning to keep in mind). God’s dreams are far more extraordinary than yours. You can’t even imagine. Just you wait.
- Keep in touch. With friends. With family.
- Each year is a gift. Let that be enough sometimes.