This year has just flown by – I can’t believe 25 is here!
I am blessed and truly thankful to see another year!
Truth be told, I wasn’t as excited for my birthday as I usually would have been. Perhaps it’s just me realizing that I am officially in my mid-twenties (buh-bye parent-covered health insurance). Or maybe the fact that there’s a lot of new things and adventures ahead – being easily overwhelmed is a skill of mine. Or it could just be that where I am, and where I thought I’d be by now, looks a little different than expected.
I’m ready to embrace this next season of life – maybe with a little trepidation, but also a lot of hopeful expectancy. I love looking back at the year and seeing from how far I’ve come – I took a few cues from my previous birthday entries:
So, as is tradition – for the 4th year in a row, here are 24 things I’ve learned at 24:
1. It’s no one else’s responsibility to make you happy. It’s up to you to make your life, as my mom always says.
2. You can’t pour from an empty cup. I think this relates to my life in a few different ways. There’s the obvious notion that you cannot care for someone else if you are in need of care yourself. Think of that safety video they show on airplanes where they instruct passengers to put the mask on the child after their own is safely secured. You can’t expect someone else to save you from yourself. You need to realize that you are your own responsibility. Take care of yourself and learn to love yourself – it’s not the only way, but it’s the best way.
3. Life is short. Tell them you love them.
4. Being friends first is the best way to start any kind of romantic relationship. Don’t jump into it. Take time and care to establish and maintain a good, solid friendship first.
5. Don’t compromise yourself for anyone.
6. When people show you who they really are, believe them. Thanks, Dr. Angelou.
7. No matter what you do, where you go, who you become – if God is at the center of your life, you’ll be just fine.
8. Learn to be vulnerable. Let yourself be known.
9. Find community and stay in it.
10. It’s okay to not be constantly content in your singleness. I’m human and these are God-given desires and longings.
11. Sometimes you just have to buy yourself flowers. And chocolate. And, chocolate chip cookie dough ice cream. Oh, and a cute stuffed elephant with hearts on its ears – just because.
12. If you never say so, they will never know.
13. Conflict is okay. Learn to handle it.
14. You are not broken, or defective, or a mistake. You are perfectly imperfect, fearfully and wonderfully made, and designed with intention.
15. Sometimes, all people need is someone to hear them out. Just listen.
16. You are capable of much more than I think you realize. Or maybe sometimes, you are afraid to realize your potential. But don’t let that stop you from making a difference.
17. You can do anything you put your mind to. Go ahead and surprise yourself.
18. You cannot control everything. Let it go and give it to the Lord.
19. Stay prayed up, rooted in the Word and suited up in the armor of God.
20. You are hilarious and kind-hearted. You are a gift to be treasured and held dear. I hope that one day, you will see yourself through the eyes of the ones that love you most, and know this.
21. Keep writing, even if no one reads. You didn’t start writing for recognition. You started writing out of passion.
22. Your being different is one of the best things about you.
23. One day, you will find the right guy and you’ll realize that he’s not perfect. But you’ll love him anyway, because neither are you.
24. When you’re young, everything feels like it’s the end of the world. But it’s not. It’s just the beginning…or something like that.
Bonus: Something cool that I also wanted to share, is that this year, God’s taught me that what is dear to my heart, is close to His. There’s no better listener than God, my Father and each and everyday He makes known His abundant love for me.